A right pickle

Sunday, June 23, 2013

 (Day 23  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days.)
  
Who’s up for a bit of sour?



 
Then look no further than these little fruit called Cermai (in Malaysia). They really pack a sour punch for such tiny little things.  (Cermai is also known as Otaheite Goseberry  or Malay Gooseberry, and can be found in many parts of Asia and South America.

I was gifted a bag of these and couldn’t quite decide what to do with them. Mr. Kitchen Hand bit into one and promptly spat it out again. The MCs nibbled a couple and didn’t mind them, but I couldn’t expect the girls to finish more than a few of the tart fruit.




 


As I was thinking of ways to use up the fruit, I remembered how preserved cermai were sold at snack stalls in Malaysia. Of course! Pickling was the answer.

The pickled cermai didn’t win any more fans in the house but at least I could keep them in the fridge for a longer time and nibble at leisure. The fruit maintain their crunch and make a tasty alternative to popcorn. Um, I should probably rephrase that as an “acquired taste alternative”.




To pickle
: I used a simple pickling liquid with a ratio of 1 part water to 3/4 parts sugar and 1 part vinegar. Then I added quite a bit of salt to taste. Warm the ingredients up in a saucepan or in the microwave and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Taste to check flavour, adjust to suit, then leave to cool. Stir the fruit into the liquid and store in a covered container in the fridge.



4 comments:

cikmanggis said...

oh tiba tiba mulut i berair sebab bayangkan rasa masam buah cermai ni .I suka betul buat ni masa kecik-kecik dulu tetapi sekarang agak sukar nak dapat.Sedap makan dengan kicap.

grace said...

pickling these little beauts was a great idea, shaz! i just go crazy thinking of all the fruits and veggies i've never tried. :)

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

I don't think that I've ever tasted this fruit before. Since they're so sour, good idea to pickle them.

shaz said...

CM- makan cicah dengan kicap? Ok, next time kita try jugak :)

Grace - I know exactly how you feel.

Cheah - you might be able to find some growing "wild". I remember I used to see this sometimes just growing by the roadside, especially in the northern states.