Broccoli is bleagh. Unless.

Monday, June 17, 2013

(Day 17  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days.)

 
First of all, let me tell you that I actually like, nay, love most vegetables. Broccoli just doesn’t happen to be one of them.

Of course I know how good it is for me. And there are some in Chez Skewer who actually like it. Weirdos.

But Mr. Kitchen Hand and I decided quite some time back that as adults we had the right to never have to buy and eat broccoli ever again. So there.

However, one night in Japan, our luck ran out. The friends we were staying with took us to a Tonkatsu restaurant where they raved about a side dish of broccoli with carrot sauce. Since we make the MCs taste everything once before passing judgement, I could hardly say no when the plate arrived.

Oh boy, that carrot sauce was a revelation. Not only did we wolf down the broccoli, we actually enjoyed it! In fact, if we had dipped cardboard into that sauce we would have no doubt devoured that too.

So today, I bought a head of broccoli and attempted the orange sauce of much deliciousness.

I’d already figured out that it would contain the trinity of mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil but after flitting around cyberspace, I realised that this sauce contained ginger too. Surprisingly, I don’t remember tasting ginger, but then again, that night at the Tonkatsu restaurant was the first time I had tried sake too. So, ahem.

Since the only brand of mirin at my local shops listed high fructose corn syrup as the main ingredient, I decided to give that a miss and used apple cider vinegar instead. And since I didn’t feel like turning on the food processor for such a small amount of food, I grated the carrots. The finished sauce tasted great but was a little sludgy as I wasn’t sure how to make it flow better. Should have checked this recipe first. Some vegetable oil could have helped the flow.

Bear that in mind if you give it a go :)


Carrot ginger sauce (adjust everything to taste)

2 carrots, peeled and grated finely
3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
scant teaspoon soy sauce
small piece of ginger, peeled and grated finely
(optional) a pinch of sugar if you like it a little sweet

(If available, use a mix of mirin and rice wine vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. To thin out the sauce, use a little mild flavoured vegetable oil as needed)

Mix everything together and leave for a little while for the flavours to develop. Serve over steamed broccoli or anything really.

3 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I never did like veggies until I went to Japan. Thanks for the recipes. We are on broccoli 'puasa' currently as we try to eat the plants we grow ourselves. Broccoli not something we tried growing yet especially now we are in drought. Waiting for the wet season again.

grace said...

raw broccoli is something i refuse to eat, but i don't mind it if it's cooked till it's limp and soggy. odd, right? the color on that sauce is glorious, especially against the green of the broccoli!

shaz said...

Malay_Kadazan Girl - good luck with the broccoli growing. I thought it needed cold weather?

Grace - Raw broccoli? Double yuck!