Everything’s coming up lilies

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

(Day 4  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days).

Remember the edible lily bulb from way back when?

Here’s a little photo to jog your memory.



 My mum had bought two of these bulbs and left them behind in my fridge. So I stir-fried one, and just out of curiosity, put the other one in a pot on the balcony.

Surprisingly, the bulb actually sprouted!




And what’s even more surprising, it just kept growing.

And growing.




And growing.




The short plant on the right is my basil

The stems were a couple of foot tall when the first buds appeared. We were about to head off on holiday just as the buds arrived and I was worried about missing the blooms.



Luckily,  the flowers opened when we got home and I managed to snap these photos. Are these tiger lilies? They certainly look like them.








Pretty exciting that the bulb actually grew well here in tropical Singapore. Perhaps the short stint in the fridge gave them the right start (simulated winter conditions)?

Another exciting thing happened too. I got email! From a real, actual reader! :)

After viewing the post about my edible lily bulbs, Erica from SF sent me some photos of a lily bulb that she had planted. In her photo, she mentioned that the smaller, not-doing-that-great plants on the left had a longer stay in the fridge, but the plants on the right had come from a bulb that was planted pretty quickly after purchase. And she had purchased the bulbs from an Asian supermarket in SF.  Oh, and apparently the racoons like the taste of oriental lily bulbs...




Thanks for sharing the photo Erica!

So there you go, these bulbs are not just good for eating, they can look pretty too.

No comments: