Fluffy clouds of forgetfulness

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

 (Day 25  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days.)
 
Woo! Woo! All aboard the ice-cream express. Sorry, got a bit carried away there.


 The ice-cream maker has been getting a bit of a workout lately even though I don’t love ice-cream all that much. However, Mr. Kitchen Hand and the MCs really dig ice-cream. Luckily, I love experimenting with flavours so it’s a win-win situation for everyone.

The whole process yields quite a few surplus egg whites though, and I was running out of ideas.

Maybe macarons?

Um, yeah, about that..I haven’t baked any macarons since moving to Singapore because I’ve been too afraid of the humidity. One day soon the macaron drought will hopefully be broken, but until that day arrives I need to find another use for my egg whites.

Oh look. Someone else has already come up with quite a complete list . Who else but the maestro himself? (Can you tell I’m a bit of a stalker fan?)

So I followed one of the links and found a great idea for meringues over at Simply Recipes. Elise calls them Pecan Meringue Cookies, but one of the reader’s commented that her mother called these  “Forgotten Cookies”.  So called because these are the set and forget stars of the cookie world.

Basically, you need to make a meringue, stir in nuts, dollop the mixture onto a baking tray, put them in the oven, and then go to bed.

Yes! Put cookies in oven then go to bed? Now we’re talking!


 Oops, who ate that one in the corner? ;P


Of course I fiddled with the recipe a little. Only because I didn’t have any pecans at home (they cost a fortune here so a recipe has to be really special to warrant any pecan action). Instead, I threw in some slivered almonds, but I really should have toasted these up first. The meringues were quite delicious but I imagine they would have been awesome if the almonds had been toasted first.

Never mind, there’s always the next batch, and yes, I will make these again, and yes, I will share :)

2 comments:

Cheah ~ No-Frills Recipes said...

Yes, I too have a lot of egg whites after making ice-cream. I can only think of Friands and Almond bread with them. Good idea to make meringues!

grace said...

i hate meringue toppings on pies, but the cookies aren't so bad. toasted almonds sound marvelous.