Ginger and chocolate and ice-cream, oh my.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

 (Day 26  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days.)
 
Hullo all,

There’s ice-cream again today.

But not much else.

My nose has been trying to run away all day and I am too tired to think of interesting things to say.


Instead, let me tell you that attempting to make stracciatella ice-cream is a lot harder than it sounds. Trying to pour a steady stream of melted chocolate into moving ice-cream creates quite a bit of mess.




But the end result is worth it.

Especially if you made a ginger ice-cream base in the first place and threw in some chopped crystrallised ginger too.

Very nice.

The end.



Ginger ice-cream with chocolate shards

( For the custard base, I used 3 egg yolks, 2 large pieces of fresh ginger, 150 ml milk, 300 ml pouring cream, a pinch of salt and 90g demerara sugar. These are 3/5 of the measurements for the Fresh Ginger ice-cream found in The Perfect Scoop. I made the ice-cream using a method very similar to the cendol ice-cream. Next time, I would possibly reduce the sugar a touch depending on the type of crystallised ginger I throw in. The one I used was very heavily coated in sugar and I thought the ice-cream was a little too sweet. However, I served it to family and everyone dug in with gusto so maybe it was just me. )

1 comment:

grace said...

wonderful flavor combination!
and here's hoping your nose stops running soon. :)