Malaysian Monday 100: Ch-ch-changing up the Cendol

Monday, June 24, 2013

 (Day 24  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days.)

Woo hoo! One hundreth Malaysian Monday post!

So I needed to make something special to celebrate right? I’m a big fan of cendol (a shaved ice-dessert), and when we were living in Sydney, I had to resort to making my own.

 Now that we live in Singapore, I can buy this dessert quite readily. It’s such a common dessert that the ready-made  “noodles” can even be found in the supermarket.

Wanting to make a dish with a bit of a twist, I tried setting the noodles to make a cendol agar-agar. Gula melaka (palm sugar) flavoured base with a coconut milk flavoured layer on top. Unfortunately, it tasted rather meh because I didn’t use enough sugar and the ready made noodles weren’t very tasty either (ah, the vagaries of convenience cooking).




Then I hit on the idea of making a cendol flavoured ice-cream. This time it was a success! It really does taste like cendol minus the green noodles. And I can always rely on Mr. Kitchen Hand and MC Junior as true barometers of authenticity. They didn’t like it which always means that the dessert is in fact very “Malaysian tasting”. MC Senior of course loved it.


Have a great week and I hope the air is clear where you are.

Cendol ice-cream 
(loosely based on David Lebovitz’s vanilla ice-cream)

makes a very small quantity, feel free to upsize. I didn’t want to make too much because I knew the family would have “issues” with the flavour.

2 egg yolks
30g demerara sugar (or sub with caster)
40g gula melaka, chopped (dark palm sugar available at Asian grocers)
100ml coconut milk (or cream. Cream will give a richer flavour)
100ml pouring cream
100ml milk
3 pandan leaves (this really gives the ice-cream that cendol flavour. If unavailable, use vanilla bean instead for a different flavour).

In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, set aside. Set the coconut cream in a bowl over an ice-bath and set aside. Warm the milk, cream, sugars and pandan leaves in a saucepan until just beginning to scald. Sieve the mixture onto the egg yolks, and quickly start beating the egg yolk mixture to prevent curdling.

Strain the mix back into the rinsed out saucepan. Rinse the pandan leaves and save.

Gently cook the egg mixture over low heat until it forms a smooth custard that coats the back of a spoon. Strain into the coconut cream and stir until cool. Put the pandan leaves back into the mixture, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. The pandan leaves will infuse the mixture with a gorgeous scent.

When ready to churn, fish out the pandan leaves and churn in an ice-cream machine.

(If you don’t own an ice-cream machine, check out this post on David’s blog for tips.)

1 comment:

Karin said...

Fantastic! I love cendol and take every opportunity to eat it. I haven't had the courage to make it yet though ;-) Lucky some of my local restaurants (in Canberra) know how to ... thanks for sharing.