Malaysian Monday 99: Durian Crepe

Monday, June 3, 2013

(Day 3 of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days).


Number 99! Whoa. Never thought I’d make it this far.

But first, I really need to apologise to everyone about the state of the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Round-Ups. Unfortunately, Suresh has been extremely busy working at a restaurant, and I kind of fell off the blog-wagon, so no one kept the round-up alive.

Sadly, Muhibbah Malaysian Monday will be on hold indefinitely until one of us gets the energy to crank it up again. To everyone who has ever sent in a post, thank you so much for your support, it meant a lot to us. Hopefully we helped spread some goodwill and tasty vibes across the blogosphere together.

However, I will still post the occasional Malaysian Monday treat, and if you feel like using the title Malaysian Monday in any of your posts, feel free. All I ask for is a little link love :)

And speaking of link love, say hello to Mireille from Chef Mireille’s Global Creations who posted about a tasty sounding nyonya dish for Malaysian Monday. Thank you Mireille.

Alrighty, back to Durian Crepes. Sometime towards the end of last year, my Facebook feed exploded with photo after photo of these crepes. I’d seen them around before but the sheer volume of updates made me want to taste them myself. Luckily, now that we live in Singapore, sourcing durian wasn’t a difficult task.  Finding a suitable time to make these crepes proved trickier. Mr. Kitchen Hand is still immune to the charms of this fruit so I had to wait till he was out of town before my attempt.



I was tempted to lug the durian home but lacked the tools to open it with. So I bought the pre-shucked fruit instead.

I found a recipe for the crepe batter over at Love2Cook. She made some pretty pink crepes which I really liked the look of.



I'm more a fan of blue myself

These crepes are slightly different from French crepes, the finished product is a little more moist as it contains more liquid than flour. Don’t worry when you measure out the flour, it’s not a typo, 50g is adequate (even thought I had doubts myself).

Once the crepes were cooked, it was time to fill them with some lightly sweetened whipped cream and durian flesh. Hoo boy, I could not wait to bite into that little pillow of goodness.







I tried marbling the batter too. Not quite the look I was looking for.

Was it yummy? Yes, if you like durian ;) But you know what? Even a durian lover like myself found it a bit too much. Durian really doesn’t need cream or any other embellishments, it’s rich enough as it is. Next time, I’ll just have the durian unadulterated.

The crepes however, work really well wrapped around other fruit.  In Sydney, I used to love the mango crepes served at yum cha restaurants. This crepe batter would make some awesome mango crepes. Mmm, mango...





Thanks for stopping by and see you tomorrow :)

4 comments:

chowwithchow said...

Ooooh!! I had these in HK at some dessert place and they made it into weird frozen custard/ice cream business inside. It was stinky but so delicious...! Thanks for the tips!

Beth said...

Blogging every day? I am so impressed! It's nice to have you blogging again, and I'm looking forward to some of your future posts.

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

Hi Shaz, your blue durian crepe look so cute! Oh durian season is coming soon, can't wait to make this soon.
and I salute you for attempting daily blogging! I've kinda run out of steam past few months. 2-3 post a month is a lot for me for now.. :P

grace said...

love the blue hue! and the marbled look is certainly worth trying again and perfecting!