Ninja bento

Monday, June 10, 2013

(Day 10  of the blogging blitz. If you’ve just joined us, I’m on a mission to get that ol’ blogging mojo back by attempting to post daily for 30 days. 
This is an auto-post as we are away travelling again today. Back soon!) 


 Feeling very inspired after out trip to Japan, I decided I was going to make bento for the kids every day (oh, stop laughing..). Technically, I do pack a lunch in a box for the kids every day, which is essentially what bento is about. But what I was trying to do was to be more creative and create funky characters, or kyaraben.

I'm a huge fan of Happy Little Bento and I knew I'd find some inspiration there. Sure enough, there was a cool ninja hiding in some fruit. La Fuji Mama had a step-by-step tutorial on how to create a quail egg ninja.

My ninja are made from a hardboiled egg which was first cut in half lengthways so that I could scoop the yolks out and mash them with some mayo and tomato sauce. I then put the yolks back in and wrapped the eggs in nori. A little painstaking and messy but more chance of it getting eaten. I placed the ninja on a bed of noodles and fried tofu bits, and the top tier of the container held different types of vegetables.

(Sorry, bad iPhone pic)


The MCs loved it, so I'm calling it a success. Now they've been asking for more "fun bento". Uh-oh....



Woke up one weekend morning to find this little person sneaking around the house!


2 comments:

cikmanggis said...

hehe cute little ninja dalam mee.Betul betul seperti Ninja :)

grace said...

this is awfully clever, shaz! food should always be so fun. :)